Thursday, March 14, 2013

desperately seeking deep sleep.

I bought an UP band by Jawbone a month ago today and have been tracking my steps and sleep with a ridiculous amount of interest. Last night, I had what I thought was a good night's rest. I was in bed by 10:30 and woke up fairly easily when my alarm went off at 6:20. But then, I plugged in my UP band and found the results a little disturbing: 6 hours and 53 minutes of sleep, but only 56 minutes were deep sleep. Less than an hour out of seven were deep sleep! That's simply unacceptable.

I did a little bit of research this morning, hoping to find out how I could increase the amount of deep sleep that I am getting every night. I found LOTS of information, and it was a little bit overwhelming. After making lots of notes, I decided on some things and have developed what I will now refer to as my nighttime routine.

My sleep schedule is 10:30-6:15:
After 12:00, no more caffeine. 
After 8:30, no more food. 
Every few days at 8:30, take a hot bath for at least 25 minutes. 
After 9:00, no more liquids. 
After 9:30, no more television or computer. 


Here's what I need to sleep well: 
Total darkness
Cool temperature - fan on low
White noise machine
No alarm clock - UP band only
Charge iPhone in the bathroom
I cannot get into bed until bedtime

To stimulate my brain: 
Do one puzzle per day
Take a multivitamin
Take a B vitamin
Take 2-4g of Omega-3 Fish Oils per day

The bottom line is that I'm not resting well and I need to work harder to do so. Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Doing anything well takes preparation, and that is what I am doing! Obviously, this cannot and will not always be possible, but I am making it my priority to try hard to make this a true routine. And with that, I am signing off and going to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment