Thursday, February 21, 2013

healthy snacks.

I've been home sick with strep throat for a few days and I've been snacking my way through my refrigerator. Fortunately, I had stocked up with healthy foods on Sunday. It got me thinking about healthy snacking options. Making my menu beforehand is so important, so planning snacks is just part of it! Here are some of my favorite go-to snacks: 


Sweet Snacks
For me, there's nothing better than fresh fruit. Unfortunately, the time of year dictates what is available. My year-round staples are strawberries, bananas, apples, and grapes - they are pretty much always available here. Come spring-time, the choices are much more abundant! Watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, kiwi, peaches, blueberries, and clementines are just some of my favorites. 

Take those same fresh fruits and you can turn them into another healthy snack: smoothies! My favorite way of making smoothies is to pack them full of healthy things. A couple of handfuls of baby spinach, a spoonful of nonfat plain Greek yogurt, and fruit of choice. I use frozen fruit, so there's no need for ice. A couple of splashes of orange juice and you're ready to press that button! 

Savory Snacks
Let's be real for just one second: I love cheese. It's kind of a problem. What isn't a problem, however, is a Laughing Cow wedge spread over Wheat Thins. These lovely little wedges are only 35 calories a piece and come in a wide range of flavors - from the traditional Swiss to Blue Cheese. Laughing Cow is also responsible for Mini Babybel cheeses, tiny round cheese wheels encased in red wax. The Babybels also come in a range of flavor and are just right to pop when you need a little boost in the mid-afternoon! 

Sometimes, I crave raw vegetables. I prefer baby carrots and bell peppers, but am happy to nibble on cucumbers and (very occasionally) celery. I prefer all of these to be dipped in Ranch dip, but that's not very healthy, now is it? Last summer, I discovered how much I liked dipping any of the above vegetables in hummus! Sabra is by far my favorite brand and my favorite varieties are roasted red pepper hummus and roasted pine nut hummus. Oh yum. I'm hungry just thinking about it! 

Salty Snacks
Not often, but occasionally, I get the urge for something a little salty. When that urge hits me, I grab for a bag of pretzels. Pretzels are good by themselves, but are also super delicious when dipped in hummus, too! Who knew?! Sabra makes little snack packs of pretzels and hummus that are perfect for road trips or lunch boxes. 

What are your favorite go-to snacks? 

No comments:

Post a Comment