Tuesday, November 13, 2012

thankfulness.

With Thanksgiving just about a week away, the idea of gratitude has lodged itself deep in my heart and has left me wanting to find new ways to express my thankfulness.

Many of you may have heard of Ann Voskamp. She wrote a book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are. The title alone challenges me to live a better life! Where I am, right now, I can live fully. How reassuring!

The purpose of her book was to acknowledge one thousand gifts in your life that you are thankful for. I haven't read the book, but I've read her blog and have heard enough people talking about it that I got the gist. It's on my "to read" list (along with about a hundred others), and I'll read it eventually, but I don't have to wait to read a book to start thinking about what I'm grateful for.

Last night, I picked up a new MayBook that I recently ordered and decided to dedicate it to cataloging One Thousand Gifts. Here's how I started:



I only got through eleven last night, but they are some of the biggest blessings in my life that needed to be written down right away. This morning, I've added five more. I decided to start every entry with "I'm thankful..." rather than simply listing people and things, so that it's more intentional for me. Why am I thankful for that person or that experience? 

I encourage you to join me in this endeavor. I can't imagine that intentionally being grateful can lead to anything except richer living and more appreciation for the blessings around you. 


2 comments:

  1. Don't forget to be thankful for yourself! I know I am very thankful of you and your beautiful, inspiring words. Ox Ox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I do a "Thankful Thursday" post every week..and weekly post I started after starting Ann Voskamp's book. Always wanted to make it a "meet up" post...but haven't quite figured out how to do that. So glad you are exploring the gifts of life. Looking to things you are thankful for rather than complaints can truly be life changing. You can read a few from my list on the "Thankful Thursdays" tab at the top.

    ReplyDelete