Monday, November 5, 2012

changes.

A little more than two years ago, I registered for a half marathon in Nashville with my best friend. I woke up on a Saturday morning, got dressed in the dark, and drove downtown. I parked my car, got into my corral, and waited for the gun to go off. It did, and as we slowly made it toward the start line, I made a decision: I had to get a handle on my weight.

I completed that half marathon, all 13.1 miles of it. I walked the entire way. The cutoff for the race was 4 hours. I believe I finished somewhere around 3 hours and 40 minutes. My best friend was beside me the entire time. She could have ran the entire thing, but she stayed with me, supporting me.

That day changed my life, because I knew that I was capable. My body was capable, despite the fact that I weighed 234 pounds. When those three numbers flashed up in front of me at the doctor's office just a week before, I was mortified. College had been hard on me, emotionally and physically. I let myself go and I had to take myself back.

I hit the ground running, literally. I downloaded apps on my phone to teach me how to run, I cataloged my food, I went to the gym every single day. The weight started to come off very quickly, because I was focused. By March of 2011, I had lost 30 pounds and was nearing "onederland" - the beautiful place where the first number on the scale is a 1 and not a 2.

Then my dad died and my world fell apart. Going back to the gym terrified me, because working out was an escape for me and I was afraid of falling apart on a treadmill in the middle of the YMCA. It's been over a year and a half and while I've had spurts of energy when it comes to getting back into my routine, nothing has stuck. Fortunately, I haven't gained. Unfortunately, I wasn't to my goal yet. I will reach my goal, and it starts today.

Here's my plan:

Catalog my food intake (and plan for it).
Exercise 4 times a week.

It's really that simple. The problem that I have had is holding myself accountable, which is pretty much why I am telling you that I have a plan, because I'd like for someone to make me stick to it.

So there you have it. Make me stick to it.

3 comments:

  1. Liz, I have been meaning to reach out to you for a long time. I want to tell you that your journey is very inspiring and your bravery is truly remarkable. Weight loss and grief do not go hand in hand for me. I considered your attitude during this time to be very admirable. You have been such a strong person during the entire situation. I wish you the best of luck in your new chapter. Please keep us updated on your progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you make me stick to it :) You and I have faced similar struggles in the weight loss department, starting and then stopping, then starting and stopping, each for own reasons....much of the time related to taking care of those around us and not necessarily ourselves. Let's do this for each other, for real this time. We've said it and failed, but let's make this time count. Accountability is one of the hardest parts of this journey, it always has been. Going through it together though, I have no doubt we can make it. We are strong, incredible women, and we got this. I love you, Liz!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzie, I can totally relate with the weight loss and accountability thing. I got to my biggest at 260 lbs (back in 2009). I had a goal to lose 100 lbs and I lost 90, then got pregnant. Right now, I'm hovering around 187, but am determined to get to that original goal of 160. You can do it! So can I. :-) If I lived anywhere near you, I'd make you my workout buddy.

    ReplyDelete