Tuesday, October 30, 2012

in the moment.

Have you ever gotten so bogged down with your have-to-do list that you've forgotten to notice beauty?

I've felt like that lately. My to-do is too long. My head is too stuffy. My responsibilities are piled up too high. My feet are too tired. My fears are too great. The theme is obvious: too much everything.

It's impossible to not feel stressed and overwhelmed when you look at life that way. I have been guilty of that lately. So this morning, I resolved to be different. I resolved to pay attention to the little things and enjoy them. This resolution, like so many others, is not something that you can think one time and instantaneously become different for the rest of your life. It's a resolution that must be made over and over and over again throughout the course of your life.

Since 6:15 this morning, this is what I have noticed:
  • a hot shower can wake you up even when you want to stay in bed. 
  • a good moisturizing face lotion can make you feel better even when you're sniffling.
  • my dog likes to roll around in the grass when he first gets outside. 
  • the lone leaf on my windshield was a beautiful and perfect leaf. 
  • even when it's cold outside, Diet Coke still tastes so good in the morning. 
  • the bells play at my church every hour on the hour. 
Look around your world and pay attention. Find something beautiful. Appreciate it. It'll make you feel better, I promise. 

No comments:

Post a Comment